Wednesday 15 August 2012

Keep on Running....


In 2011, on July 24th, when The Wilburbeast was only 10 weeks old, I took part in the Race For Life.   My running partner, Helen, and I completed the 5k run in 38 minutes.  I was 8 and a half minutes off my personal best time of 29 minutes and 30 seconds.  Not bad for someone who had only given birth 10 weeks previously and only started running again 4 weeks before (once I’d gotten the all clear from the Dr that notihng was going to drop off/out!)

This year, on July 22nd, Helen, Emily and I took to the seafront in Portsmouth again… running the 5k Race For Life.  This time however, we’d been running regularly every weekend, covering at least 3 miles at a time.  We crossed the line after 33 minutes, knocking an impressive 5 minutes off our previous time.

Next year, we’re entering the 10k!



In the past, I’d taken up running, but it always petered out after a few months.  I ran my 5k PB the year I got married, when I was going to the gym 3 times a week and running (incentivised by losing weight for my wedding day).  Now I’ve had children, I don’t have the time or the energy to go to the gym as well as go running….  In fact Helen and I only manage one run a week or roughly 4 – 4.5 miles.  That’s enough for me to be able to run comfortable 10 minute miles, and feel the tone in my legs.  Ideally I’d like to run more, but I do lots of other exercise (cycling, walking, chasing, lifting etc) thanks to the kids.

There are many reasons I run, and these are reasons I think other people should consider running too:

  • It’s cheaper than gym membership!  Well it IS… and all you need is a good sports bra, some good trainers (if you are local to me try Alexandra Sports in Portsmouth for advice and fitting), a tshirt and some leggings/shorts – oh and the great outdoors!

  • Anyone can do it!  It’s easy to run, and it doesn’t matter how fast (or not) you go… you’re still lapping everyone else on the sofa!

  • It gives me some ME time! Running doesn’t have to be a solo activity, but when I run alone I feel at peace with myself and all the stress of the day melts away.  I’ve done some of my best thinking during a run!

  • It gives me a chance to catch up with friends!  Running with a friend is a great motivator.  Not only do you keep each other going, but the incentive of arranging to meet someone also gets me out of bed early on a Sunday!

  • It’s great for supporting my weight-loss goals! Regular exercise, in my case running, means I can still indulge in a few treats now and again!  If I skip the treats and up the exercise I can see the difference on the scales, and in the way my clothes fit.  The more you exercise, the more weight you lose in the long run (!), because you will tone up, creating more muscle which burns more calories.

  • Entering running events is a great confidence boost!  It keeps me motivated and gives me a goal to work towards.  I’ve entered the Great South 5K on 27th October ; and I hope to break the 30min barrier.  Miss Bags also loves coming to watch me run…. It’s a great family time – especially as Crummy Hubby is running the Great South Run on the 28th (yep, all 10 miles of it!)

So, looking towards the 10k…  I’ve found a training plan and we’ll be there in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment