Saturday 17 March 2012

Happy Mother's Day - and Thank You, Mum!

Until I had children of my own, I never really understood why my mum did some of the things she did as we were growing up. Think, "You're not going out like that!", the wet towel on the bed argument, and "eat your vegetables!"  I just thought she was out to get me!  Now I realise, it was all part of protecting me, teaching me, and loving me!

When I gave birth to Miss Bags, four years ago now, alongside the overwhelming love and joy of having a baby, I was also filled with awe and respect. Not just for what my amazing body had done, but for what my own mum had done for me! I have always been close to my mum, but giving birth myself has increased that bond.

As its Mother's Day tomorrow, I wanted to take this opportunity to say Thank You, Mum!
  • Thank you for teaching me how to cook, even if I did wreck your ceramic hob with boiling sugar!
  • Thank you for teaching me about birds, wildlife and flowers, so that when I am on walks with my children, I can pass on that knowledge
  • Thank you for making me laugh
  • Thank you for being my friend
  • Thank you for teaching me how to sew, even if I do ask you all the time!
  • Thank you for sharing your love of cross-stitch and knitting with me
  • Thank you for being there, no matter what
  • Thank you for rescuing my baking disasters, and teaching me how to make cakes
  • Thank you for helping me in the garden, and passing on your green-fingered tips!
  • Thank you for watering my houseplants so they don't die.
  • Thank you for my childhood
  • Thank you for being the best mum ever!

Now I have two children I have come to realise how much I rely on mum (and dad for that matter) for advice, childcare and just that little bit of perspective when it all gets too much! I see the nurturing, loving relationship my children have with their Grandparents and I am so heartwarmed by it!  My children are VERY lucky indeed to have both sets of grandparents who are such a huge part of their lives!

Just like mum.....

I find myself saying things that my mum used to say to me, "eat your vegetables", "take your coat off, or you won't feel the benefit when you go back outside" and "because I'm your mother, and I SAID so!".  I'm sure that the wet towel on the bed argument is yet to come; as is the "right, I'm only washing your clothes if they are IN the basket!" row!  As I say and think these things, I realise I might be more like my mum than I care to admit (yep, right down to our irrational intolerance of traffic jams, and moronic drivers!); but, if I am HALF the mother to my children that she was to me and my brother, then my children are truly blessed indeed!

Thank you, Mum..... I love you x

No comments:

Post a Comment