Tuesday 13 March 2012

Birthday Baking Crazy!

March is birthday month in our neck of the woods...  Miss Bags has been invited to 7 parties this month alone (4 down 3 to go!)

In honour of the festivities I have gone a bit baking mad of late...

First of all, Nonna found an old, much loved recipe that we thought we had lost, for Oat Biscuits, so I just had to make them!  A real taste of my childhood!  Needless to say, they were great!  Just how I remembered them, all sweet and chewy.  However, they are very dangerous, as one made - they call out to be eaten!  One after the other in a flurry of oatyness!  Definitely NOT part of the Slimming World Plan!

Then, Miss Bags requested a Pirate Cake for her party.  The girl is Pirate Mad! I blame Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  So, armed with my "Quick and Easy Kids Cakes" book, I set out to complete the challenge...


I think it looks OK!  Given that the buttercream was nearly a disaster and Nonna had to come to the rescue like the cavalry!  Note to self.... "soften in the microwave" does not mean heat on full power for 2 minutes; and adding the last drops of milk to the buttercream mixture (because"I'm not putting THAT back in the fridge") is NEVER a good idea..... my buttercream was more like pouring cream!  Thank you Nonna for imparting your baking wisdom and saving the day!  Miss Bags certainly liked it, and the two huge slices I enjoyed washed down with a well earned glass of red were yummy!

Next on the agenda were 36 cupcakes for the birthday girl to take to pre-school....




And at the weekend I'll be making Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake!  Yummy!

Despite all the baking and party fun.... we still found time to go to Peppa Pig World at Paulton's Park... a great time was had by all, and the weans were asleep almost before we reached the motorway!  Happy Days in the sunshine now that spring has definitely sprung!


No comments:

Post a Comment